Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 6: Expect the Unexpected


It’s very hard to pick a favorite day here. Every day has been packed with precious moments we will treasure for the rest of our lives. I can confidently say, though, that today was definitely in my top two!  Today was fabric & beach day – need I say more?!?  After enjoying yet another mouth-watering breakfast of French toast and fresh, juicy mango with pineapple, we were ready to drive to town and pick out the fabric for our dresses. Joe Fox, our very own tailor and designer, took time out of his busy schedule and came with us to offer his expertise. He and our driver, Wisdom, had to deal with 12 giddy, chatty, and excited girls all the way to Accra! Each drive around town is filled with emotion: we laugh, we’re scared, we’re concerned for what we see, then we’re just plain confused and we love it all because we get another quick glimpse into the culture of these beautiful people.
Choosing fabric for our own dress is an experience none of us have ever had. Creative juices were flowing and many of us were torn between colors and patterns – all of which were stunning! It took a couple hours, but all of us left Accra completely satisfied with our selections.


For lunch, the cooks surprised us with another marvelous meal – Irish stew! Getting ready for the beach took no time at all and soon we were on our way. The moment we stepped onto the sand, enthusiastic merchants flocked to us, offering the best of what they had, including bracelets, souvenirs, manicures, horse rides… We politely said no, lingered on the beach long enough to take just a few quick snaps and rushed into the ocean, eager to jump into the big crashing waves.



I planned for a day of fun and games, but I am so glad that God’s plans are not our plans and what He has in mind is always so much better! I got the fun, the games, the shells, and so much more - I got a glimpse of God’s heart.
As a group of us were strolling along the beach picking shells and rocks, I noticed a teenage boy had joined our group. He had a huge smile on his face, was charismatic and eager to meet and talk to us. I introduced myself and as we began talking, I realized this cheerful boy had an extremely difficult life. I found out that John lives on the beach and has no family of his own. His mom died when he was twelve and since his mom and dad were separated, he was not able to find his father after her death. He moved from Nigeria to Ghana and has been living on his own since then. He told me he knew Jesus and attended a church when he lived in Nigeria. He hasn’t attended church since he’s been in Ghana. I offered him the only thing I had to offer: prayer. He accepted and Abby and I beseeched God on his behalf. After the prayer, I talked to him about Jesus’ love for him and reminded him that Jesus will never leave him. I felt the loneliness this boy felt as well as the tremendous love Jesus had for him. God was reaching out to this young man, wanting to pull him closer to Himself. That moment on the beach was the definition of a divine encounter. All throughout the Bible God uses unusual circumstances to reach individuals, so why wouldn’t He use a few white girls thousands of miles away from home on a Ghanaian beach collecting rocks?!?! There is no limit to His love, to His creativity, and to His abounding grace. While I had waves and sand castles on my mind, God had John on His.    


Lina Potafiy

1 comment:

  1. This story about John is my favorite part so far. I have loved reading about your adventures. I hope to read more. As a sophomore I can't wait to go with my group to Africa. I am so excited for you all and pray for your group. I can feel love of God as I read though your stories. Thank you. God bless you all. John

    ReplyDelete