Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day 24: That's SO Great...

As we travel home, we thought a reflection back on the trip would be most fitting for our last blog...these three questions were asked of each team member: 

  1. What was your defining moment for Ghana 2013?
  2. What was your favorite and/or least favorite part of the trip?
  3. What have you learned about yourself as a leader?


Caren Sims, SN
I think my favorite and defining moment was when we went to the rural villages and provided care for people that never really get much attention or health care. I enjoyed the rush of the stations we have set up and also enjoyed just being immersed in to culture of the village.
I really also enjoyed Kumasi and bonding with Zerwa. She was so sweet and latched on to me immediately which made me feel special.
I feel like God really poured into my heart and soul on this trip how much he loved me and how much he wants to forgive me. Without sounding selfish this trip really did a lot for my soul as well as for the people of Ghana.
As a leader, I learned that I need to work more on my compassion towards team members and on encouraging a verbalizing when they do good things. I also learned that I need to pull in focus faster because I tend to be more relaxed and friendly when leadership roles may be needed more at that moment.


Vanessa Davila, SN
My favorite part of the trip was connecting with people. I fell in love with the people of Ghana. They will all be engraved on my heart. This trip only confirmed to me that I am called to be a missionary to Africa.
Defining moment: I loved my time serving as part of the counseling/ ministry team at Akporman. My defining moment was praying and encouraging a women who felt alone, ashamed, and rejected. She had turned to alcohol to fill the void and help her cope with her hardships. As she opened up, I was able to minister and encourage her. I told her of God’s love and grace. There is no shame or condemnation in Christ. He loved her and wanted to heal her brokenness. He wanted to restore her. It was an honor to have this special encounter.




Kayla Keiser, SN
My most favorite part of our trip was going to the House of Grace in Kumasi. My little girl Afia was so cute and sweet. The best moment there was to see her reaction as Ms. Poore walked through the front door with new shoes for all of the girls. Afia took both hands, covered her mouth in amazement and then quickly ran over to get her new shoes.  Just being there to see that reaction at that moment was one of the best experiences I have ever had!
I have learned that as a leader I need to improve on being more forward with delegating different tasks to my group members or whoever I will be leader over in the future. I have a compassionate heart and sometimes tend to be too nice and not stern enough with my words or leadership skills.


Chelsea Lairson, SN
One of my favorite parts of this trip was the rural clinics, especially the one on the island of Ada. I loved being with the people in their village and bringing medical care to where they were at.
I cannot pick just one moment as my defining moment but i cannot forget one of the first days in the hospital and helping a mom deliver her baby. There is something so miraculous that hits me when I see a new life taking their first breath and being in Africa in a small room with just a few others brought it to a whole new reality.
On this trip I saw how important balance is in leadership and how that balance needs constant adjusting. I need to bring it up in this area but doing good in this other one, and for the next situation I need to counterbalance.


Katelyn Anderson, SN
First I cannot believe it is already over. This time with my sisters has flown by so fast. I am grateful for every opportunity I have had in Africa but especially I am grateful for the ladies that came along side me. I could not have asked for a best group of women to go to Ghana with. This whole trip was a clinical for our leadership course and as a leader I have grown more on this trip then in any of my other leadership roles. Living for three weeks with 12 women can be trying but as a leader I learned to respect the personalities around me. God made us all different so that we could work together to accomplish tasks. And we accomplished many tasks in Ghana! I always used to say “guys (men, boys) are much easier to be friends with because there is no drama” but after spending three weeks constantly in the fellowship of women I proudly say there is nothing like having a girl-friend as close to you as a sister. 


Janice Burkybile, SN:
Favorite part of the trip: There are many things great and small; from seeing life spring forth into the lifeless newborn to leading people to Christ on Valentine’s Day. The one thing that stands out was getting to see some seeds planted, watering some that have already been sewn, and then harvesting in God’s perfect timing. I was truly humbled to be small part of God’s big plan and walk in each of these parts. I met three Muslims and God wanted me to see and show His love for them. Prior to this trip, I have had no contact or experiences with Muslims (not intentionally). One of them accepted Christ as her Lord and Savior! I am so thankful for meeting Samira (presently a Muslim). She has touched my heart as she found the courage to go to the island of Ada and face her fear of the water with us and she made each of my team members a bracelet; such a courageous and precious person. I hope to join up with her in heaven one day. I have learned a lot about myself as a leader and gained confidence I did not know I had.
  

Jennifer Cordon, SN:
It is hard to sum up one favorite moment because there were many. I loved going to the academy and receiving hugs and overwhelming love from the kids. Despite them not knowing me, they swarmed me with hugs. My favorite part was my interaction with the children. They were so pure and they reflected the face of God. I had a glimpse of heaven on earth whenever I played and sang with the kids.
My defining moment was when they honored us as a group our last Sunday. This meant a lot to me because even though I felt like we didn’t do a lot, they made sure we knew that we made a difference. I know that we will all have another moment like this when we meet Jesus. He will welcome us and hopefully say well done my good and faithful servant. Last Sunday was another glimpse of Heaven.
I have learned as a leader that I am very good at being flexible with my members. This flexibility can be a weakness at times because every member wants something different out of the group. I need to practice my assertiveness without coming across as too bossy and just finding the balance between flexibility and defining the boundaries. Overall, I got good feedback and kind compliments from my classmates.   


Kayli Koger, SN:
It's hard to say a favorite time, because the whole trip really changed my view about leadership, teamwork and my Christian walk. But, if I had to define a favorite it would probably be Kumasi. Spending time with my little girl Paulina and learning about her changed my view on life. I felt so connected with her even though we had so little time to spend together. I know this little girl will forever be in my life - through prayer, mail correspondence and in my heart. I will cherish this time for the rest of my life!
The first day we put on our whites and headed to our assigned location. I was standing outside the eye clinic as Ms. Poore was fixing my hat and she said with a choked up voice - God has a special call on your life. I have known this in my heart all along, but it was just then that it clicked. The way she spoke to me was like God telling me and asking me to trust in Him.
I learned that I am a capable leader. That I lead with servanthood in mind. I never had the confidence in myself to lead, but something about this trip gave it to me. I also learned that confidence in myself is a huge part of being a leader. I have to trust myself in order to lead the ones counting on me.
Ghana defined a lot of aspects within myself - this time will always live in my heart!



Lina Potafiy, SN:
Choosing a favorite part of this trip is like choosing a favorite child - it's impossible! However, one of my many favorite parts of this trip was scrubbing in for a C-section. That was not something I expected to be doing on this trip, but I was so thankful that I got a chance to be a part of it! There were many, many great moments throughout the trip that have shaped me and redefined me. A defining moment for me was when I met John at the beach on Tuesday. I knew it was an encounter God was looking forward to. I saw more of God's heart and his love for people, and the rest of the trip was spent in light of what I've learned that day.



Abby Randall, SN:
I don’t think I had a “defining moment” in Ghana. For me it was a million little things. Everything from praying for a patient to presenting new shoes to the girls at House of Grace helped me realize why I came on the trip. One moment I won’t forget is when a Muslim who worked at the hospital gave every member of the team a bracelet. For me this bracelet has become a constant reminder to pray for her and all the wonderful people I met in Ghana.


We want to say thank you to our amazing professors, Ms Poore and Dr Catts, for honoring God in following His call on their lives - if it were not for them we would never have had the experiences we did. THANK YOU!


The people and experiences God placed in the path of this trip with will forever remain in our hearts.
Team Ghana together for the last time on this trip, but forever remain together as sisters in Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment